‘Drill instructor’ gives billiards tips at the Reitz Union

In a free clinic Thursday night, Dominic "The Drill Instructor" Esposito put about 30 spectators through a billiards boot camp.

Esposito, a staff writer for Pool & Billiard Magazine as well as a recognized top 20 billiards instructor, showed onlookers drills and techniques to help improve their game.

"All skill levels can enjoy what I'm going to do tonight," Esposito said in an interview before the clinic. "While I'm speaking in a language that beginners can ascribe to, the advanced player can connect to the things that they really care the most about and fill in the gaps."

Esposito, who lives up to his nickname by dressing in full drill instructor garb, said his title came from his meticulous way of teaching fundamentals.

"I'm pretty specific about what we do and why we do it," Esposito said. "Shooting the shot right, shooting the right shot, making sure that the fundamentals of the game from stance to stroke to alignment and also selection and execution are all there."

Esposito's appearance was well received by students, although there were some complaints about the event's timing.

"I think it's a good idea that we could get him here; the only downside is that if it wasn't the Thursday before Florida-Georgia, I think we'd have a bigger crowd," said Mike Shelestak, a UF graduate student. "It's pretty cool seeing some of the things he can do though. You see some of that stuff on TV, but you never really get anyone to explain to you how to do it. "

The clinic was sponsored by the Reitz Union Game Room. Esposito was paid $350 for his appearance.

Esposito's clinic was the first of two parts; the second will will take place in January. The second clinic will cost participants $50 and will be more one-on-one training and in-depth training secrets.