The Reigning Champions won the World Series on Tuesday night.

Twenty-eight players sipped on smoothies and sodas while they competed in Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc.'s World Series of Spades cards tournament at Orange & Brew.

The World Series of Spades is one of seven events Phi Beta Sigma Inc. will host during its biannual "Sigma Recess" week.

There is one event held in the fall, and one will be held in the spring, senior Jacquestephen Carrenard said.

The competition was divided into three rounds.

The first team to earn five points won the game and moved on to the next round.

As music thrummed in the background, competitors played through each game, only taking a break while they waited for other games to finish.

Fourteen teams of two competed, each giving itself a name like The Lion King and The Reigning Champions. The competitors were not allowed to talk about the card game while they were playing.

"It's a pretty intense game when it starts getting played," said senior Terrell Wilks, who helped plan the event. "People show a lot of emotion when you can't talk like that."

The games got more and more competitive as the tournament carried into the final games.

During the championship round, everyone gathered around the last table to peer over the players' shoulders.

This year's winners, senior Michael Wood and sophomore Paula Irvin of the Reigning Champions team, won a $100 Visa gift certificate.

The chapter will decide where the money raised throughout the week will be donated.

In the past, Phi Beta Sigma Inc. has donated funds to the American Red Cross, The American Cancer Society and schools in the Alachua County area.

"Nothing's definite as of yet, but these are places we are looking into," Carrenard said.

Other events Phi Beta Sigma Inc. will be hosting this week are a three-on-three basketball tournament, a free game night and a free barbecue and tailgate.