One of UF's longest-standing traditions is also one of its dirtiest.

Until Nov. 1, the Tolbert Area Council will host 40 Years of Mudfest, which sparks friendly competition among Tolbert Area residents.

Scott Mangino, graduate hall director of North Hall and Tolbert Area Council adviser, said the chance to organize events like Mudfest was one of the main reasons he chose to go to UF for graduate school.

"Mudfest started in 1969 as just a one-day event," he said. "It's definitely changed and evolved and become more competitive. It's been one of those events that a lot of our students come back here for."

On Sunday, an opening ceremony that kicked off Mudfest attracted about 100 people.

There were several speakers, including Gainesville mayor and former Tolbert Area resident Pegeen Hanrahan and Jeanna Mastrodicasa, assistant vice president for student affairs at UF.

This is the longest Mudfest in the event's history, running for two weeks from Oct. 18 to Nov. 1.

Mangino said one of the reasons organizers extended the event was to allow those who do not live in the Tolbert Area to participate in Mudfest as well.

Competitive Mudfest events, where residents from different floors compete for points, will run Monday through Friday from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Athletic competitions include MudUltimate, or ultimate Frisbee, MudTug, or tug of war, MudPolo, a variation of water polo played in the mud pit and MudVolleyball. Students also participate in rock picking competitions, where the teams who collect the most rocks from the pit win points.

While the competitions are limited to Tolbert Area residents, many Mudfest events are more inclusive. A clothing drive to benefit Peaceful Paths, a network that provides aid to victims of domestic violence, will be held Friday at 7:30 p.m. in conjunction with Student Government.

On Oct. 24 and Oct. 31, a large screen will be set up near the mud pit to allow students to watch Gators games against Mississippi State and Georgia, Mangino said.

Mudfest will conclude with the annual Mud Dance on Nov. 1 at 7 p.m., where students are encouraged to wear their Halloween costumes.

"For the next 40 years, people will still be playing in the mud," Mangino said. "As long as there's mud there, this event will still be going on. Who doesn't want to go and play in some Georgia clay for two weeks, get dirty and have fun with your friends?"