Smathers Libraries holds Internet search competition

Students tested their abilities to find random historical facts Thursday night.

Forty-eight students assembled in Library West to take the 30-minute, 20-question Digital Literacy Contest put on by the Smathers Libraries.

According to the libraries' Web site, the contest tested students' Internet search knowledge.

Daniel Poynter, a graduate of Purdue University in Indiana and co-founder of the event, said the contest was like Jeopardy in that students would be penalized for wrong answers.

During the competition, students turned, sighed deeply and played with their nails and facial hair.

UF political science junior Ben Cavataro won the event by a large margin. Poynter said he received the highest score ever recorded for the contest.

Cavataro said he "came in on a lurch," adding he didn't have high hopes when he came in.

"I used Google and LexisNexis," he said. "I tried to use a lot of search engines for better results."

Cavataro, who won $200 cash, said he was going to use the money for paying rent and having a little bit of fun.