As Florida coach Urban Meyer put it Wednesday, "It's the Charlie Strong show" in Gainesville these days.

The defensive coordinator has built one of the nation's most dominating defenses, and with the offense sputtering through three games of Southeastern Conference play, it's been Strong leading the march toward another national title.

The Gators lead the nation in total defense (202.6 yards per game), passing defense (115.2 yards per game), scoring defense (6.4 points per game) and passing defense efficiency (78.32 rating).

"He's on top of his game right now as a coach … He calls a really fine defense for us," Meyer said.

The Gators have given up just 32 points through five games this year and have allowed only two touchdowns. Florida had given up 47 points through the first five games in 2006.

Tennessee's Montario Hardesty rushed for 96 yards against UF on Sept. 19, but no other opposing player has rushed for more than 53 this season. And cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Joe Haden held LSU's Brandon LaFell and Terrance Toliver, two of the SEC's most talented receivers, to a combined six catches for 58 yards.

"It's much deeper than a guy who calls a play," Meyer said. "The way he relates. The way he motivates. The way he gets a group of 11 to play like one. That's what makes a coach."

INJURY UPDATE: Defensive tackle Jaye Howard was seen on crutches Wednesday.

Meyer said Howard is suffering from a bruise below his knee and the injury is not serious.