Families with young children, hip 20-somethings, grandparents and even a few furry four-legged friends gathered for wine tastings, hor d'oeuvres and the chance to meet Kristin Harmel, international selling author, in Orlando on Friday.

Harmel signed copies of her fifth novel "Italian for Beginners" for fans.

Harmel graduated from UF's journalism program in 2001, and today she writes "chick-lit" novels and freelances for People and other national magazines.

"I feel very grateful for the opportunity to be doing what I'm doing," Harmel said.

While most authors sign books at different stores for their book tours, Harmel likes to do something different.

"I think, why not have a big party?" she said.

The event took place at Bullfish, an art gallery and unusual gifts store in Baldwin Park. Owners Brian Wettstein and Jeff Brow attended, mixing with the crowd and offering information on their wine and art collections.

The eclectic store was the perfect venue for Harmel's book signing for "Italian for Beginners," which is worldly and colorful like the store. Harmel's mom, countless friends and even her recently reunited sixth-grade crush, Matt Patterson, attended.

"Now I know a famous author," Patterson said.

Harmel, who wore a little black dress to coincide with Little Black Dress wines, which sponsored the event, thanked everyone who attended and posed for pictures for more than three hours. She took time to speak with everyone.

Patrick Loughlin, who has worked at Bullfish for three years, met Harmel before the event started. "She seems very sweet," he said.