UF students provide company for hospital-bound teens

Decorated tiles hang on the ceiling of the fourth floor of Shands at UF Children's Hospital, adding color and life to a usually dreary hospital hallway.

Many teenagers with chronic illnesses are stuck in hospital rooms every day with no one to talk to.

That is where Streetlight comes in, a non-profit organization that revolves around peer support groups for adolescents with chronic illnesses.

"Being a teenager is difficult enough," said Rebecca Brown, the director of Streetlight. "Add a chronic illness and it's really a tough time."

Brown said teenagers are beginning to develop their identities and starting to plan their futures.

"When diagnosed with a chronic illness, everything of value is stripped away," she said.

The 60 volunteers of Streetlight spend time each week with teenagers who suffer from cancer, cystic fibrosis, sickle cell disease and other life threatening illnesses.

"Just talking to them makes a difference," said Deevee Sanchez, a volunteer for Streetlight.

Fariza Alendy, also a volunteer, agrees.

"They have a lot to teach you about life," she said. "With Streetlight, you get to a pure level with the patients.

"It has made me a better person and given me perspective about life as a whole. I will always have that when I look back at this experience."

With Streetlight, patients are able to get movies, magazines, video games and board games to pass the time as well as spend time in the teen lounge with others their own age.

Streetlight relies on donations from outside sources to provide theses activities for patients in the hospital.

However, it is sometimes difficult for patients to open up to volunteers.

"These aren't children," Brown said. "It takes more than crayons and toys for them to talk to you. Many of these teens feel they are self-sufficient and do not need anything else."

Sanchez agreed, but said eventually many do open up and build bonds with the volunteers.

"They surprise you every day," Sanchez said. "They are in their hospital beds writing music, writing poetry or forming organizations to raise awareness."

It is also extremely difficult when patients pass away.

"I have to try to make sure that volunteers do not cross the line, getting too attached to patients," Brown said. "You make friends and you lose them; it can be really hard."

Brown hopes one day Streetlight will be available in more hospitals around the country.

"Not very many hospitals have organizations like this, working strictly with adolescents, and I feel it is very important," she said. "A patient has more than medical needs as an adolescent, and Streetlight addresses those needs."