alligatorSports Fantasy Challenge: Week 9 Recap

(Reader) Zach Rogan (FBS Zach) def. (Writer) Mike McCall (Skip’s No Quarter Swashbucklers) 122-99.75:

Zach (5-5) gets a heroic 38-point day from Oklahoma State running back Keith Toston, but the highest-scoring player in this matchup was on McCall’s bench. The Swashbucklers (6-4) started Kansas quarterback Todd Reesing (15 points) over Oregon’s Jeremiah Masoli, who put up 42. That mistake cost McCall second place in the West Division, where Zach sits in fourth despite having the second-most points in the league.

(R) Randall Abbott (Dead RAbbotts) def. (W) Phil Kegler (Phil on the Hill) 101.75-74.75:

Game goes to Randall (6-4), thanks to Clemson running back C.J. Spiller’s 36-point effort, but Phil (5-5) wins in the goose-egg category. Mississippi’s Dexter McCluster and Kentucky’s Randall Cobb get Phil a combined zero points thanks to injury, while their backups combined for 43 points on the bench. That would be painful if Phil had any idea it happened.

(R) Mike DiFerdinando (DiFer) def. (R) Joshua Levy (Joshua Levy) 142-84:

DiFer (5-5) rode The Great White Hope, Stanford’s Toby Gerhart, for 40 points to claim the “Best of the Worst-Named Teams” title. This was a bloodbath, as DiFer’s bench tallied four more points than Josh’s starters. Levy (4-6) needs to use the loss as motivation to fuel his team, as it faces the Ben Volin Buzzsaw next week.

(R) Ben Volin (Rollin' with Volin) def. (W) Kyle Maistri (Alligator Army) 128-70:

Imagine the U.S. Army going to battle against deaf and blind children who are only armed with water guns, and you get a pretty clear idea of what this matchup was like. Kyle (2-8) sits in last place, and his squad has put up 543 less points than first-place Ben (8-2) this season. Volin is playing in the Big 10 of the Fantasy Challenge though, feeding off the weak East Division, so he could be upset come playoff time.

(W) Bobby Callovi (Jerry Hughes for Heisman) def. (R) David Medoff (Fourth and Short) 126-73:

After four-straight wins, Bobby (7-3) is emerging as the main challenger to Volin’s squad. He keeps it going this week behind N.C. State quarterback Russell Wilson’s 32 points, while Dave (2-8) stays even with Kyle in the battle for the league’s cellar. Most importantly, Bobby registers the only win by alligatorSports writers this week, keeping The Crew from suffering its first winless week.