UF's College of Engineering announced Tuesday it will receive a $3 million donation from Harris Corporation, a communications and information technology company based in Melbourne.

The money will be used to set up an endowment to fund research projects in the field of computer science and engineering, according to a UF news release.

The types of research it could fund include mobile communications, high-performance computing and the way information is stored and used in the health care fields, the release states.

As a result of the gift, UF will renovate the third floor of the Computer and Information Sciences building, which houses the engineering college, to make way for the Harris Gateway to Learning and Innovation.

The renovation will begin in the spring of 2010, according to the release.

The donation isn't the first one from the Harris Corporation to UF.

In 2005, the company donated just over $1 million to fund professorships in the engineering college.

It also funded the creation of an endowment for graduate student fellowships in the college.

The company employs about 850 UF graduates, according to a UF news release.