You’ve probably tasted far more herbs and spices than you can name, which makes it difficult to know what you should add to a dish to replicate a specific flavor.

Here are the names, appearances and uses of a few hebrs that are a must-have in the kitchen:

-- Basil—Large leaves with a cool, crisp flavor used in many dishes. Add at the end of cooking to preserve its flavor. Get it fresh, if possible.

-- Oregano—Smaller leaves with a warmer taste used prominently in tomato sauces. Pair it with basil in Mediterranean cooking.

-- Rosemary—Slender leaves with an almost minty taste when dried and an intense cool flavor when fresh. Use in dishes and herbal teas.

-- Thyme—Tiny leaves with a cool flavor. It mixes well with most other herbs. Use dried or fresh in chicken and lamb dishes.

-- Cumin—Ground seeds with a warm earthy flavor. Use as the base for spicy seasoning, especially in Mexican cuisine.

-- Cilantro—Crisp fresh leaves with a cool yet spicy flavor. Cut just before using to retain freshness. Add to salsas or rice dishes.

-- Ginger—Versatile root with a spicy zing. Use in holiday cakes and treats in ground form or in Asian dishes when freshly chopped or pickled.

-- Dill—Feathery thin leaves with a refreshingly cool flavor. Use in spreads, soups and with fish dishes.

-- Parsley—Best known as a garnish, parsley is a quintessential part of a bouquet garni (more on that in part two) and other elements of European cuisine.

-- Bay Leaf—Dried laurel leaves which are aromatic and slightly bitter to the taste. Use in soups and sauces, but remove from the dish before serving.

-- Garlic—Who isn’t acquainted with the pungent smell and delicious flavor of this bulb?

In my next post, I’ll show you how to mix and combine these flavors to enhance your meal.