Help site answers UF students’ questions via blog

Students who like it fast and easy now have a Web site designed just for them.

UFHelp.com, a site launched in October, allows UF students to submit questions about anything from coursework to clubs with a few quick clicks.

The site is a project sponsored by Gators of Tomorrow, an organization that chooses 25 freshmen each year based on their academic excellence and leadership abilities.

David Yakobovitch, sophomore finance major and one of the site’s founders, said students can submit questions by clicking the “Contact” link on the site or by e-mailing help@ufhelp.com.

He said the site has a team of about 30 bloggers who answer each question and posts a response on the site within 48 hours.

Yakobovitch said the bloggers provide their own unique student perspectives on the issues addressed.

About 100 sets of questions and answers have been posted so far, including tips about registering for season football tickets, taking a class on a pass/fail basis and figuring out the bus system.

Yakobovitch said he hopes the home page of the site will evolve to include a map displaying links to the different categories of questions students have asked.

He said students of any age can post questions.

Joyce Huang, a senior environmental engineering major, said the site will prove useful for students unfamiliar with how drop/add works.

She said it could also be helpful for students in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, who may struggle to meet with advisers.

Husam Wahdan, a senior political science major and one of the site’s bloggers, said he wishes the site was available when he was a freshman.

Navigating through the UF Web site to find resources for getting involved on campus proved difficult, he said.

“The way I look at it, it’s like a freshman survival guide,” Wahdan said.