Teachers, friends remember telecom student as 'fighter'

Samantha Grosse was a curious, motivated student.

The UF telecommunications student worked in the WRUF newsroom for class. She liked international politics, loved animals and was in Alpha Omicron Pi sorority.

She didn’t like to use her disease as an excuse.

That’s why she didn’t tell Tom Krynski, the news director of WRUF-AM and WRUF-FM, that she had cystic fibrosis until she started missing classes and shifts at the station.

“She didn’t want that to slow her down,” he said.

However, on Monday, Samantha  succumbed to her disease, which affected her lungs and digestive system.

Carlos Torres, who taught Samantha’s Radio 1 class, said she possessed the qualities of a good broadcast journalist, including an ability to work as a team player and a willingness to help her classmates, even if it meant staying after class.

“Whether she would have chosen to do on-air or production, whether she would have chosen to do news, sports or entertainment, she would have excelled at it,” Torres said.

Christine Eschenfelder, the WUFT news assignment manager, taught Samantha in her electronic news producing and management course.

Eschendfelder said Sam had a bubbly personality and was always smiling.

She would stay after class or come to Eschenfelder’s office for help when practicing her news writing and was both considerate and outgoing, he said.

“I don’t think she had any obstacles,” Eschenfelder said. “She just did what she wanted to do.”

Sara Sanner, who lived with Samantha for a year, said she also knew how to have a good time. She and Samantha always had people over to their poolside apartment at the Estates, including football players she met while living at Springs Residential Complex.

Sanner said Samantha was a fighter who didn’t let her disease stop her from having a good time or helping others.

“She wanted to, you know, be normal, as normal as she could, and to encourage others who have the disease to do the same,” Sanner said.

A memorial for Samantha will be held Monday at 7:30 p.m. at the Alpha Omicron Pi house.