A new year and a new purpose

Thinking about getting a jump on your spring cleaning? Before you empty out your closet, check out the following tips to make what’s old become new again.

Grandma sweater no more

Have some old sweaters lying around? Before you get rid of them, think of the possibilities! Have a sweater that you love, but it’s too small? Or maybe you have one that’s out of fashion, but you love the color. Why not turn it into a scarf? That’s just what the internet based company, Reknit, does. Send them your sweater and within a week, you’ll have a brand new scarf to keep you warm during the next cold snap.

Accessorize your boots

Have some boring boots that have been lying in your closet since 2005? Can’t figure out how to make them work? Before you throw them away and spend half of your financial aid on a new pair, check out The 2 Bandits. Bandits—a stretchy piece of fabric—slip on over your boot creating an entire new look to work into your wardrobe. While they’re not cheap, they’re definitely less expensive than a pair of trendy new boots.  My favorite, the Fleetwood, would look great with your old black boots and a little black dress.

Prepster shorts

Have a pair of old high waters lying around? What about some old interview slacks you don’t wear anymore? My favorite local blogger has just the DIY (do-it-yourself) for you. In a simple two hours, you can turn those ugly grandpa trousers into some fashionable prepster shorts. These look great with a pair of tights or even on their own once the weather starts warming up.

Interested in the project, but don’t have a pair of old trousers lying around? Check out a local thrift store such as Goodwill or Hospice. They have tons of great deals and all the proceeds go to a great cause.

Not the DIY type? No problem! Just bring your trousers into a local seamstress. An experienced sewer can tackle a job like this in no time at all and for very little money.

Can’t bear to tear apart your clothing?

If you love your clothing so much that you can’t tear them apart, but can’t wear them anymore, why not try a closet swap? Invite all your friends and acquaintances over with their treasures that they can’t wear anymore either. You’ll be surprised at all the new pieces you’ll be able to add to your closet without spending a dime.

If you’re free tomorrow afternoon, check out UFCovetedList’s Closet Swap. The swap will take place at ADPi at 4 p.m. The cost is $5 at the door and all proceeds will go to Dance Marathon and Haiti.

Last, but definitely not least

If you absolutely cannot find anyway to revamp your old fashion treasures, donate them to Goodwill or Hospice. Your belongings will find a new home and you can even get a tax deduction!

Have any other ideas on how to revamp old pieces? Let me know—I’d love to hear them!