Sometimes extraordinary things come from ordinary people - in ordinary places. Will Thomas, 33, a common man with sharp blue eyes, works prep at The Top and plays the drums in local band Grabass Charlestons. He gets up early enough to listen to the birds on his way to work and NPR when he gets there. On this particular Tuesday morning, while working in the silver, cluttered kitchen behind shelves of clunky metal pots and pans, the UF grad knew something was wrong.

“I could tell by the tone of the reporters that something really serious had happened. I could feel the gravity of it,” Thomas said, in between sips of beer at The Top.

That “something” was the now infamous  earthquake that devastated Port-au-Prince and much of Haiti. Thomas was deeply affected by the tragedy and he decided to do something about it. He organized a benefit concert taking place Sunday at The Atlantic with all proceeds from the show going to the American Red Cross for relief efforts in Haiti.

“We take for granted this cozy life that we live,” he said. “To hear the story as it unfolded was completely heartbreaking.”

There are five bands performing, and Against Me! has agreed to headline. The show starts at 5 p.m. on Sunday, at The Atlantic

8 Seconds is also hosting the AM/FM Gainesville Music showcase on Sunday,  from 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. that will feature 13 musical acts including Moodhosa, Michael Claytor and The Footlights. Donations will be accepted at the event, and all proceeds will go to The American Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders.

In addition, Farah’s on the Avenue is hosting “Hookah’s for Haiti” on Saturday to join in on the cause. Farah’s will provide free hors d’oeuvres and grilled wings, and all hookah costs will be donated to Haitian relief funds.