As National Signing Day creeps closer, Florida is expected to pick up a few more commitments to round-out its 2010 recruiting class.

But it got one few could have seen coming when Wethersfield (Conn.) High’s two-star quarterback Tyler Murphy verbally committed Sunday to play for Florida.

According to Rivals.com, Murphy is the lowest rated prospect in the Gators’ 2010 recruiting class. Before switching his commitment to Florida, Murphy originally committed to Temple.

“These coaches aren’t really going to care where these players are ranked as long as they feel they can help their program.” Rivals.com recruiting analyst Jamie Newberg said. “The bottom line is the coaches feel he can make a difference during the time he spends in Gainesville.”

Newberg said the Gators 26th commit is a playmaker. At 6-foot-2, 190 pounds, Murphy has the athleticism to be a dual-threat for the Gators.

“It’s not determined yet what he’ll play,” Newberg said. “I’d imagine he’d get his first shot at quarterback, especially because there is no one really proven behind (John) Brantley. Also he’s athletic, big and fast enough to play another position such as halfback or wide receiver.”

Murphy is the third Gators recruit to come from Connecticut in the last four years, joining tight end Aaron Hernandez and quarterback Jordan Reed.

If Murphy stays at quarterback, he will have adjustments and improvements to make before finding success in the SEC, Newberg said.

“He’s head and shoulders above the competition (in Connecticut), and playing in a spread offense,” Newberg said. ”He’s got a good arm, but it’s very raw so he needs to work on mechanics. Florida’s going to have their work cut out for them if that’s the decision they go with, but the kid is a very good athlete.”

If he stays at his high school position, he will be working closely with quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler, who was brought in from the Detroit Lions in 2009. Loeffler was also the point-man in Murphy’s recruitment.

Murphy’s commitment leaves only three scholarships remaining for UF’s 2010 class..

Verbal commitments are non-binding until a letter of intent is signed on or after Feb. 3.