Non-profits race towards midnight for $1 million

There has been a flurry of activity on Facebook and Twitter this week, all with the hope of winning $1 million.

It's been a race to the finish as 100 non-profits rally support and votes for Chase Bank's $1 million Community Giving Facebook promotion. Voting ends at midnight.

Supporters of the non-profits have done their part to use social media by posting status updates and tweeting and re-tweeting information to raise awareness for each organization.

As of 6:00 p.m. the top three organizations on the Chase Community Giving leaderboard were Invisible Children, Isha Foundation Inc and To Write Love on her Arms.

In order to vote people must first become a "fan" of Chase Community Giving on Facebook: http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/. Then showing support for the organizations is a click away.

Celebrity support has been strong for a few of the non-profits. Jessica Simpson tweeted support for Invisible Children on Wednesday. While Miley Cyrus threw her hat in the ring for To Write Love on her Arms and released a video in which she taught Joaquin Phoenix and Liv Tyler how to vote.

Voting began a week ago and local student groups have done their part to spread the word.

Invisible Children, a non-profit that works to aid children in war-torn Uganda, announced Wednesday it would donate $100,000 to support relief work in Haiti. Invisible Children is based in San Diego, Ca.

Stephanie Alman, president of the UF chapter of Invisible Children, said she was happy when she heard the news.

Invisible Children has been tabling at Turlington Plaza this week working with the UF student group, Hope for Haiti, collecting donations for people affected by the earthquake.

"We (UF IC) had already decided to team up with Hope for Haiti. It felt so great that Invisible Children felt the same way I did. We're on the same page here."

Alman said her group had laptops available at Turlington for people to vote right on the spot.

Erin Villani, president of the UF chapter of To Write Love on her Arms, plans to put her own laptop to work tonight at the group's fundraiser. It will be available for group members to vote in the contest.

To Write Love on her Arms is a Cocoa, Fla. based organization that helps people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide.

Villani said the UF chapter of To Write Love on her Arms has used Facebook and Twitter to encourage people to vote.

"Social media is the best way," she said.

She went on to say group members have constantly updated their status updates with information on the contest and spread the word to family and friends, as well as tabling on campus.

Isha Foundation Inc moved into second place on Chase's leaderboard early Friday.

The organization works to provide healthcare and community development in rural communities around the world.

Isha does not have a student group affiliated with UF.

Charities that finish in second through sixth place each get $100,000.

Alligator Online will be following this story through the evening.

UPDATE:

Invisible Children started out the day number one in a contest to win $1 million.

After an official tally of votes at 9 p.m. they are still at the top of the leaderboard with 114,002 votes.

Stephanie Alman, president of the UF chapter of Invisible Children, said she was relieved when she found out Invisible Children was still at the top.

"I was nervous because it has been neck and neck all day. Hopefully we will continue to be at the top throughout the night," she said.

Invisible Children is one of 100 non-profit organizations in the running to win the Chase Bank $1 million Community Giving Facebook promotion. Voting ends at midnight.

Isha Foundation Inc is in second place with 105,991 votes.

To Write Love on her Arms came in third with 90,709 votes. The organization has been updating supporters throughout the evening.

In a contest fueled by support on social media, To Write Love on her Arms sent out support of its own Friday night after the 9 p.m. vote tally.

"We'll finish 3rd. Let's help our friends at @Invisible Children win the million bucks to continue their great work."

"It looks like a competition. But, really we are all in this together," said Erin Villani, president of the UF chapter of To Write Love on her Arms.

Villani said she is excited about the increased awareness the competition has brought to the UF student groups.

"If this helps get people aware of what UF has to offer, I feel that is still doing a great thing," she said.

An official announcement of the $1 million winner will be made January 23rd, according to the Chase Community Giving Facebook page.

Update 12:45 A.M.:

The race to $1 million has come to an end as voting on the Chase Community Giving Facebook promotion closed at midnight.

After a week of tweeting, re-tweeting and status updates encouraging supporters to vote the contest is finished.

"We won!" said Stephanie Alman, president of the UF chapter of Invisible Children.

According to unofficial vote tallies on the Chase Facebook site Invisible Children has come in first place by a narrow margin with Isha Foundation Inc. taking second place.

"I feel like everybody has worked really hard on a national level. I was getting phone calls all day from people," Alman said.

Chase will announce the official winner of the Facebook promotion on January 23rd.