Student Government is going green.

The Student Senate passed a bill during Tuesday’s meeting implementing the use of recycled paper in the SG copy center.

Student Alliance Party Senate leader Jon Ossip, who represents the Murphree Common Area, said using 30 percent post-consumer paper will cost SG an additional $500 per year, which equates to one penny per student per year.

“Really the best part of this bill is how inexpensive it is for students,” Ossip said.

According to the bill, using post-consumer content to make paper produces 50 percent less wastewater, uses 44 percent less energy and 41 percent less greenhouse gases.

The SG copy center is on the third floor of the Reitz Union.

Ben Cavataro, the Student Alliance Party’s candidate for Student Body president, said the center is used not only by SG but also by SG-funded organizations for their publicity campains and fliers.

Cavataro said the copy center will start using the recycled paper when the current stock runs out.

“This really is the future, where we take the environment into account and really make a difference,” Cavataro said.

Unite Party spokesman Ben Meyers expressed support for the bill and said it passed with a nearly unanimous vote.

Meyers commended the bill and said it shows good bi-partisan cooperation.

“I think it’ll do good things,” Meyers said.