Sunday, June 16, 2024

P

With marker and a flat surface like a wall or ceiling, contemporary artist Dan Perjovschi expresses himself and ridicules others.

His art represents freedom, Perjovschi said.

Perjovschi talked about his art’s focus on self-expression with a crowd of about 60 at the Florida Gym Wednesday night.

He created his own work of art at the Harn Museum, which will be on view through May 9,  through the end of the exhibition "Project Europa: Imagining the (Im)Possible." The exhibition is runs February 7 to May 9.

A native of Romania, Perjovschi travels  around the world to draw and write his feelings on floors, walls, windows and sidewalks.

Perjovschi is visiting as part of Project Europa: Imagining the (Im)possible, an art exhibit at the Harn.

Kerry Oliver-Smith, the curator of contemporary art at the Harn, said working with Perjovschi has been enlightening.

“From China to Cuba, he brings rich experience to his work,” Oliver-Smith said.

Perjovschi interspersed a discussion of his own story with the story of his art.

When communism fell in Romania, Perjovschi was 20.

For the first time he could finally read books, travel and put his thoughts on paper.

He wants people to understand what he is trying to say.

“We have to fight for existence,” he said.

Correction:

The Alligator originally reported that Perjovschi "created his own work of art at the Harn Museum and is in Gainesville until Feb. 6 to display it. When he leaves, his work will be erased."

Dan's work will in actuallity be on view through May 9 which is through the end of the exhibition, "Project Europa: Imagining the (Im)Possible." The exhibition is on view February 7 - May 9.

The Alligator also stated that Perjovschi uses chalk to make his drawings. He uses large, black markers.

Correction (2/9/2010):

The Alligator stated in a correction that Perjovschi uses large, black markers instead of chalk to create his art. He has used both in his career. His work for "Project Europa: Imagining the (Im)possible" is done in marker.