'CSI' actor Hill Harper comes to UF to speak for Accent

After getting a law degree from Harvard University, Hill Harper did what any other young law school graduate does.

He got involved with theater, wrote three books, had roles in numerous films and, for the past six years, he’s played Dr. Sheldon Hawkes on CSI: NY.

Harper will be speaking tonight at 8 in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom.

The Accent show is cosponsored by Black History Month and the Black Graduate Student Organization, said Jason Attermann, Accent chairman.

Harper will be paid $30,000, according to the Student Government Finance Office.

“I’m going to talk about courage and fear and what stops people from achieving their goals and dreams,” Harper said.

Harper has written three motivational books and said he speaks to about 20,000 students across the country each year.

He said he uses these opportunities to encourage students to be “active architects” in their lives, a term he will explain during his talk.

“I’ve had a lot of dialogue with students about what’s going on in their lives and how to manifest their destiny,” Harper said.

Whether they want to get into acting or not, Harper said the key to success is for people to present themselves as fresh and unique.

He said it is not always easy, but the most successful people in society have been able to bring something new to the table.

“It’s a real challenge,” Harper said.