Finance club holds flash mob to promote poker tournament

About 20 students put on their poker faces and danced to Lady Gaga in Turlington Plaza Tuesday afternoon.

They broke it down for passing students during two dance performances, which each lasted about five minutes and were part of a flash mob sponsored by the Student Finance Group, an organization that teaches students from any major about how to invest and save money and find internships.

Through its dance, the group hoped to promote its poker tournament at Beef O’ Brady’s on Thursday at 8 p.m., said Bastian Bockenhuser, the flash mob’s coordinator.

The tournament will raise money for the Student Finance Group’s bus trip to Disney World at the end of April, Bockenhuser said.

The trip will cost about $800, but the group has already raised about $300 from member dues and past events, he said.

“We hope that the poker tournament will help us raise the remaining money to go on our trip,” Bockenhuser said.  

The poker tournament costs $10 to enter, and anyone can participate.

Students who go on the trip will use free Disney tickets earned from participating in a Day of Difference on March 26. For the Day of Difference,  volunteers will reach out to local elementary school students and teach them about business and economics.

The students who performed in Turlington Plaza had a slightly different mission.

Three of them wore life-size playing card cutouts, while others passed out playing cards advertising the tournament.

Jackie Arellano, a member of the Student Finance Group, said she was not nervous about dancing in the middle of Turlington Plaza.

“We wanted to promote unity and harmony within the group,” Arellano said.