Usually, there is nothing more annoying than public broadcasting stations trying to raise money. Instead of Car Talk kicking off your Saturday morning, you have the pledge drive.

This Sunday, however, Gainesville’s public broadcasters, WUFT and WJUF, are teaming up with the Wine and Cheese Gallery to bring you a better way to fund raise called Gone With the Wine. 

The event will feature both silent and live auctions for everything from special vintages, to vacation packages, to wine-themed art.  Mildred’s Big City Food will provide an assortment of desserts to taste, and there will be specialty coffees from Classic Fare Catering. For your listening pleasure, the event will host chamber choir Musica Vera, as well as local jazz pianist Chuck Michaelson.

But I’ve been saving the best for last: Gone With the Wine will serve more than 300 wines.  That is not a typo– more than 300 wines will be served. While trying every wine is probably out of the question, Wine and Cheese Gallery’s Wade Tyler thinks you shouldn’t rule out sampling between 25 and 45 premium wines.

When you traverse the ballroom with your wineglass, make it a point to try Cyrus, a special bourdeaux blend from California. Domaine Ruinart Rose will also be there, a premium pink Champagne, valued at about $85 per bottle.  Other notable wines include Honig Sauvignon Blanc, Corison Napa Cabernet, and last year’s big hit, Luigi Bosca Malbec. The list goes endlessly on, but with so many wines available from all over the world, there is plenty to enjoy for everyone.

All things considered, a $55 price tag is not bad at all. Wine tastings are not cheap, and when you factor in both the quantity and quality of the wine being offered at this event, you are getting your money’s worth. Plus, all the proceeds benefit a good cause. Instead of racking up your usual bar tab this weekend, fork over a few extra dollars for the experience of a life time at Gone With the Wine.

The event will be held Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m. in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom.  Call 352-392-5200, ext. 1148 for tickets and more information.