Students will debate how to end racial disparity in education during the first Great Gator Debaters Tournament today at 7 p.m. in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom.

The tournament was created by Student Body Vice President Larnell Vickers, who was inspired by the movie “The Great Debaters,” starring Denzel Washington.

“I honestly think it will be a groundbreaking event, and it will continue on,” Vickers said.

He said he wanted to bring a new element to Black History Month activities by having an event that focused on education as well as entertainment.

The debate will feature two two-person teams representing two UF organizations: the Military Law Student Association and Esquire, a society of minority pre-law students.

Tournament director Cecil Duffie said students will discuss different ways of stopping inequality in education.

He said the event will also feature live entertainment, including performances from Poets Inc. and pianist Albert Curry.

Duffie said judges of the tournament will include Reitz Union Executive Director Eddie Daniels, local lawyer Christopher Chestnut and assistant professor in African-American studies and women’s studies Stephanie Evans.

The winning team will receive a $200 prize, Duffie said.