New York Fashion Week Fall 2010

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. Christmas? Nope. Valentine’s Day? Hardly!

It’s that time of year where tall, thin beauties frolic the streets of New York City in scantily-clad clothing. That’s right. You guessed it. It’s New York Fashion Week!

Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Fall 2010 began Thursday. This year happens to be a very significant year in fashion history. Not only is it the very last year that designers will present at Bryant Park, but the fashion community lost a very influential member.

British fashion designer Alexander McQueen was found dead in his London home on Thursday morning. A prominent figure in the world of fashion, McQueen inspired many. Several of his colleagues dedicated their runway shows to his life. The Fashion for Relief show to benefit Haiti, organized by Naomi Campbell, included a tribute to McQueen at the end. Several supermodels such as Campbell, Helena Christensen and Karen Elson strutted their stuff on the runway in McQueen designs.

Quirky designer, Betsey Johnson, also payed homage to McQueen by sending a model down the runway with big, bright red wax lips and a sign that said, “Long live McQueen.”

On a less somber note, Fashion Week has set the tone for the fall 2010 season in just the last five days.

Military-inspired fashions will be popular this upcoming fall. Ruffian designers Brian Wolk and Claude Morais seemed to favor structured silhouettes and masculine outerwear. Their military-inspired look wasn’t the only thing that stood out in their collection. All of the models had their hair twisted into buns so high that they were almost touching their foreheads. This was a very popular hair style with other designers as well, such as Catherine Malandrino and Behnaz Sarafpour.

While it may be a controversial issue, fur was seen all over the runway in the past several days. My favorite fur-crazed show at this year’s fashion week so far is definitely Thakoon. I just want to wrap myself in this cream colored hoodie.

I’ll leave you with my pick for stand-out designer (so far) of Fall Fashion Week 2010. Prabal Gurung showed some really interesting and beautiful looks on the runway Saturday. One of my favorites is this structural, block colored, form-fitting dress. My other favorite is this whimsical, feathery, strapless dress. Gurung is clearly a designer with a ton of talent to share. I can’t wait to see what he comes up with next.

So, readers, what do you think about Fall 2010 New York Fashion Week? I’d love to hear your thoughts, opinions, likes and dislikes. Send them my way. Happy Fashion Week!