The Inter-Residence Hall Association turned up the heat at its Hotter Than Hot Diversity Dance Showcase Monday night.

About 200 people filled the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom at 8 p.m. to watch performances reflecting the diversity of UF’s students through dances originating from places including West Africa, Brazil and Ireland, said Stephani Babcock, director of the dance showcase.

The dance showcase is part of IRHA’s annual Residence Hall Week, which began Friday and ends Thursday. The week, themed IRHAbian Nights, is a chance for the individual resident halls to pool their resources and have a weeklong event for all UF students.

“It’s just a great way to bring together residents from different areas,” Babcock said.

It takes about a year to organize the event, and although small details like arranging the music can be stressful, the final product is the most rewarding part of Babcock’s year.

“It’s a stress that’s worth it,” she said. “It’s an experience that’s worth it.”

The audience especially appreciated the event’s diversity.

Sriyani Dissanayake, a mother of a dancer in a classical Indian dance club Gator Natyam, enjoys UF’s diversity.

“I like all kinds of music and dance, so I’m enjoying [the showcase],” she said. “I’m glad you are having this type of event for students to enjoy.”

Siobhan Parker, a zoology junior, came to support her friends in the Brazilian Capoeira performance and was excited to see a variety of acts at the show.

“That Indian dance — I’ve never seen anything like it,” she said.

Residence Hall Week does not just involve performances and activities. It has also raised more than $600 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, said the philanthropy director Bethany Marchwinski.