Whether it was leaving campaign fliers unattended or leaving them on cars in non-solicitation zones, both the Unite Party and the Student Alliance party were found guilty of illegal campaign practices.

Of the 21 election complaints filed during or after the spring Student Government election, nine were dropped during Friday’s election commission meeting.

The Unite Party received a public reprimand for leaving campaign fliers unattended.

The Student Alliance party was found guilty of campaigning in non-solicitation zones and leaving fliers on cars in apartment complexes.

Unite Party President James Tyger filed against the Student Alliance party candidates for leaving fliers in off-campus apartment complexes.

After testimony from three witnesses, the Student Alliance party was found guilty and fined $50.

A complaint was also filed against the Student Alliance party for campaigning door-to-door in off-campus apartment complexes.

The election commission voted that door-to-door campaigning is not illegal and said it will recommend that the Student Senate make legislation concerning off-campus campaigning more clear.

The Unite Party was fined $20 total for four complaints about members writing the party’s slogan in chalk across campus.

Student Alliance party Senate Leader Jonathan Ossip said university regulations prohibit writing in chalk anywhere but the southwest terrace of the Reitz Union.

“There needs to be a clear message that SG parties are subject to the same rules as everyone else on campus,” Ossip said.

The Unite Party was found not guilty of submitting a letter to the editor of the Alligator under the name of Josh Winegar, who had no affiliation with the party.

The commission also found the Unite Party not guilty of covering Student Alliance party posters with Renew Your Reitz campaign posters and Unite Party posters.

Election Commission chair Andrew Brown said the Unite Party did not destroy any Student Alliance party campaign materials and that both parties were probably guilty of covering over the other’s posters.

“Two wrongs don’t make a right, and it seems that both parties are at fault at this point,” Brown said.