Five campus buildings recognized for ‘greenness’

UF continues to LEED in its efforts to make university buildings environmentally and economically sound and energy efficient. 

The U.S. Green Building Council has recognized five more buildings as certified by the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), bringing UF’s total number of LEED -certified buildings, building additions and renovations to 17. 

The five newly certified buildings include the Steinbrenner Band Hall, the UF Dental Clinic in Naples, the Bob Graham Center for Public Service at Pugh Hall, the IFAS Biological and Agricultural Research Facility and the NIMET Nanoscale Research Facility.

LEED-certified buildings are designed and constructed in order to achieve the ultimate performance and sustainability possible.

Buildings are assessed based on factors including the way the site is planned and the indoor air quality of the building, said Bahar Armaghani, the assistant director of facilities planning and construction for LEED on campus.

UF began applying for LEED certifications for its buildings in 2001 in an effort to go “green,” Armaghani said.

Constructing LEED-certified buildings does not cost more than constructing other buildings. The United States Green Building Council offers higher levels of LEED certification varying from silver to gold to platinum, Armaghani said.

According to Armaghani,  platinum certifications are reserved for the most energy-efficient buildings.

Achieving these higher levels of LEED certification and energy efficiency does lead to higher construction costs, according to  Armaghani.

“The cost is so negligible in comparison to the good these energy-efficient buildings are doing for the environment,” Armaghani said. “You get your money’s worth.”

UF has one platinum building, four gold buildings and two silver buildings, she said.

The Southwest Stadium Expansion is the sole platinum structure on campus.

The buildings on the UF campus that have received gold certifications are Rinker Hall, Library West, the Steinbrenner Band Hall and the UF Dental Clinic on the Edison College campus in Naples.

The HUB renovation and the Graham Center at Pugh Hall earned silver certifications from the organization.