At a public forum Tuesday, Dan Rua told a group of about 30 people why Google should give a gig for Gainesville.

Rua, president of Gainesville Area Innovation Network, a network that encourages technology enterprises in Gainesville, emphasized the need for support of Gig4GNV, Gainesville’s campaign for ultra-high-speed Internet.

Friday is the deadline to submit community support for Gainesville’s bid.

Rua encouraged members of the community to nominate Gainesville then post Facebook and YouTube videos to support the campaign.

“I want to see more funny and passionate videos from the students,” he said.

Google is planning to build an ultra-high-speed fiber broadband connection in a city that best shows its qualification and enthusiasm.

Google plans to offer the Internet upgrade at a competitive price to a city ranging from 50,000 to 500,000 people, according to Rua.

Rua explained the network would result in a speed about 100 times faster than what’s available in homes now.

Ted Kellerman, director of GRU’s GRUCom telecommunications services, said Google would be spending between $200 million and $300 million to construct the network in the city of Gainesville.

A Santa Fe College student raised concerns over privacy issues for potential Google Internet users.

“What’s to stop them from selling our data to the government or businesses?”  Garrett Krinsky asked.

Moselaine Elan, who moved to Gainesville in early March from Fort Pierce, said she is hopeful Gainesville will be chosen.

“I think it offers so many amazing things for our community and education,” Elan said.

At the forum, attendees could record video clips to post to the Gig4GNV’s YouTube channel.

Ian Elsner, who recorded videos in a separate room during the forum, said he thinks the city is very qualified.

“If Gainesville can harness the wildness and creativity of its people, then we will have a good chance to win,” Elsner said.

For more information or to upload an original video, please visit Gig4gnv.com.