Hot. Tub. Time. Machine. These four little words bring together an awesome '80s atmosphere with the humor of the 2000s to transport movie-goers back to a time they barely remember.

The film hit theaters last Friday, and though it doesn’t offer a complicated plot line or Oscar-worthy performances, the name-says-all movie will make you laugh. A lot.

The story follows Adam, Lou and Nick, three former best friends played by John Cusack (“Say Anything,” “High Fidelity”), Rob Corddry (“The Daily Show with Jon Stewart”) and Craig Robinson (“The Office”), as they journey back to the prime of their youth through the unlikely combination of a decrepit hot tub and a semi-illegal Russian energy drink.

Adam’s 20-year-old nephew Jacob, Clark Duke (“Greek”), ended up on the boys’ weekend as well. He spends most of his weekend trying to keep the rest of the crew from changing history because he fears he may never be born if too many things go awry. 

“Hot Tub Time Machine” boils over with classic '80s references. Cusack’s mere presence gives authenticity to the brat pack shout-out, but he took his involvement one step further and shared producing credits with partner Grace Loh. The pair decided that director Steve Pink would be perfect for this throwback, boys-gone-wild movie.

The “Winterfest 1986” ski lodge setting assaults the senses with neon ski suits, synthesized tunes and wine coolers to round out the retro feel.

Admittedly, I was skeptical. I assumed that “Hot Tub Time Machine” would fall in the same category as other one-dimensional, plot-in-title flicks (cough — “Snakes on a Plane” — cough). I was wrong.

This movie works for various reasons. Most importantly, it refuses to take itself too seriously.

In a desperate attempt to confirm that the group is stuck in 1986, Nick (Robinson) posed this frantic question to a fellow partier:

“What color is Michael Jackson?” he stammered.

There were a few other candidates for the soon-to-be infamous Michael Jackson joke, including “What is O.J. Simpson famous for?” Robinson said during a press junket for the movie.

Minor characters’ story lines were another aspect that kept the plot moving and added to the movie’s deep pool of jokes. Whether it was Crispin Glover (“Alice in Wonderland,” “Charlie’s Angels”) popping up as a one-armed bellhop or Chevy Chase (“National Lampoon’s Vacation,” “Caddyshack”) filling the role of hot tub repairman, these guys held the audience’s attention almost as much as the main foursome.

Underneath all the silliness, “Hot Tub Time Machine” also carried a message about reuniting friendships, seizing the moment and taking control of your own destiny.

Adam, Lou, Nick and Jacob led lackluster lives before their time traveling experience but —hopefully this isn’t too much of a spoiler — they manage to change their paths with one last chance at redemption.

If you’ve ever worn a side ponytail, drank a Zima or wished you had Jesse’s girl, “Hot Tub Time Machine” is sure to nestle nostalgically in your heart. Even those that fall outside the decade, notably Howard Stern and The New York Times, gave the movie glowing reviews.

Dust off those LA Gears, break out the leg warmers and go see “Hot Tub Time Machine.” You’ll be totally glad you did.