It has been said that “anti-Catholicism is the anti-Semitism of the Left.” The Monday editorial “Idol Hands” is vivid proof this is true.

Disappointing enough was the Alligator’s jumping on the bandwagon of the international media, which has been itching to jump on the abominable scandal in Ireland and dig up the slightest shred of evidence by which to condemn the Holy Father — of which they will find none. But the Alligator clearly has not done much research.

Worse still, the Alligator editorial staff showed its true colors with this repulsive and absolutely insulting editorial.

The writer was undoubtedly unable to contain his zeal to smear and spew his contempt for the Catholic Church. The writer attacked the often misunderstood, yet valid, doctrine on indulgences, completely disregarded the immense and beneficial work the church has performed throughout its history on behalf of the poor, dismissed an otherwise reasonable argument against contraception as being rooted in the Dark Ages along with abstinence programs and rosary beads, sneered at the spiritual leader of millions as our “over-embellished, over-publicized king in Rome,” and took a crass and ignorant jab at the beautiful and revered Gregorian chant and antiquated traditions of which I am a student and lover.

Any self-respecting Catholic should be utterly insulted and disgusted at this Alligator editorial.

Is this the best journalism and the best reasoned and logical argument the Alligator can furnish to support its dripping hatred of the Church? Shame on the Alligator Editorial Board.