I’m a student of Kofi Adu-Brempong’s class, Geography of a Changing World. I just want to say that there’s absolutely no valid reason for the police to resort to shooting a handicapped man in the head who has trouble walking with a cane.

The claim that a group of policemen wearing protective gear weren’t able to bring down a crippled man without using assault rifles is sad proof of how inadequate the University Police Department is. The Alligator article states that Kofi “came at police with a knife and pipe.”

I don’t dispute the fact that he might have had a knife; however, there is a very high probability that the pipe was actually his cane. Not many people have spare pipes laying around in their apartments. A police officer who can’t distinguish between a pipe and a cane should not be armed with an assault rifle.

Throughout the semester, Adu-Brempong never showed any signs of being delusional, let alone troubled. Being worried about a student visa renewal doesn’t make a person delusional. It’s a frustrating process with the ever present fear of being deported. I know this from personal experience.

Jeff Holcomb is as quoted saying police didn’t know if there was anyone in a the room. If there was no one in the room, who was Adu-Brempong screaming at? I highly doubt he was screaming at himself, even if he was delusional. And if he was yelling on the phone, that’s not a crime.

He was always happy and cheerful. He was a great professor and actually made the class pretty interesting. Adu-Brempong was the reason I even took Geography of a Changing World. When I saw him during office hours he wasn’t any different.

Also, Adu-Brempong has a son, not a daughter. He’s mentioned a son several times in class.