From being a part of the Gators’ second national championship team as a freshman to back-to-back National Invitation Tournament appearances, Dan Werner has seen his fair share of ups and downs.

Werner will get a chance to close out his career on a high note, as Florida’s lone senior will be recognized during Senior Night before the Vanderbilt game tips off tonight at 7.

He said his mom, dad, brother and sister will walk onto the O’Connell Center floor with him, while several other family members from his home state of New Jersey will also be in attendance.

“I’m not really thinking about the last game or anything like that because then your mind starts wandering away from what you’re supposed to think about,” Werner said. “It’s going to be tough, but hopefully, it’ll be a little bit easier with a win.”

One of the lowest points of his four-year career came earlier this season, when seemingly none of his shots were falling, and coach Billy Donovan recommended that Werner see a sports psychologist.

“At one point there, I was really down on myself, shooting the ball not even thinking it was going to go in. It’s tough,” Werner said. “I’ve talked to people, and it’s helped me. I feel like when I shoot it, it’s going in.”

That wasn’t the case most of this season, especially during conference play, in which the senior forward is shooting 25 percent from the field and 15 percent from beyond the arc.

After starting the season by connecting on 14 of 27 attempts from three-point range, Werner has been ice cold, making just four three-pointers since he hit three in UF’s 85-67 win against Jacksonville on Dec. 4.

Around the Gators’ game against South Carolina on Jan. 23, Werner said, Donovan recommended a meeting with Jim Burrell, a sports psychologist who has worked with several UF athletes, including junior forward Chandler Parsons, and talks with Werner once or twice a week.

Burrell gave Werner some simple advice.

“He said, ‘So what if you don’t shoot the ball well? You can still do so many other things,’” Werner said. “That’s what I’ve had to keep telling myself.”

The shots still aren’t falling, and Werner may never be as confident in his jump shot as he once was. But, Donovan said, Werner is at peace with his role on the team and provides enough value to justify his 28 minutes per game.

“The guy has played his heart out and given me, as a coach, everything I could ask for,” Donovan said. “He’s maybe not the most athletic or talented guy, but he’s one of the smarter guys I’ve coached.”

With his college career nearly over, Werner plans to take his game overseas after graduating, play basketball there as long as he can and then come back to the U.S. and start a career in real estate.

As for his legacy at UF, he hopes fans remember him for his heart and hustle — not his stats.

“I would like to think that’s what I’m all about: doing the right things and giving 100 percent,” Werner said. “I definitely didn’t make every shot I took, make the right play or whatever, but at least I played hard.”