5th Avenue Arts Festival draws about 25,000

Two-year-old Ahtani Stevenson held a hollowed-out pineapple filled to the brim with strawberry smoothie, fruit slices and whipped cream.

Ignoring the straw and plunging her mouth into the sugary plume of toppings, it was apparent she needed to sit down.

There was much to observe from her curbside seat Saturday at the 31st annual 5th Avenue Arts Festival.

Festival director NKwanda Jah said an estimated 25,000 people usually attend the event, including her children and grandchildren.

“These kids who grow up and go to college or have kids, they come back to go to the festival,” she said. “Sometimes it’s the only time I ever see them.”

More than 100 vendors manned booths displaying colorful foods, clothes, African art and jewelry.

The festival also hosted gospel choirs, local dance groups and an Afrikan dance ministry from Atlanta.

“We’re very intentional about observing certain African rhythms,” said Afriyie Huie, a dance ministry member. “There’s so much chaos in the world now. We’re trying to put some sense of order into our worship life.”

Carrying a swooping orange umbrella, Bonnie Burgess, outgoing mayor of the City of Alachua, said it warms her heart to see so many families.

“Just to see the people and the children come out is a pure joy,” she said.