It is a well known fact that social networking Web sites have paved the way for instant information dissemination that can seep its way through the barriers of time and distance, thereby changing the lives of millions of people. However, reading about life-changing incidents of kindness and about meetings that were so perfectly and unexpectedly orchestrated through Facebook can only make you gasp in awe at the power of social networking Web sites!

A new series started by The Facebook Blog known as the "Your Stories" series encourages readers to share their experiences about incidents that have been made possible through Facebook and the stories that have come forward are truly inspiring and thought-provoking.

Daniel Eley was on a trip in Columbia when he was severely injured in a diving accident on Jan 1, 2010. The medical expenses for specialist treatment amounted to $130,000. Things took a revolutionary turn when a family friend created a Facebook group called “Help Dan” to help Daniel’s family and friends be in touch with him during this crucial time.

In less than a few days, there were more than 8000 members in the group, most of whom who had never met Dan personally. This group managed to raise more than $160,000 and even helped him feel better through their positive spirit, suggestions, prayers and help.

Danny Cameron found a lost camera on a road while on a holiday in Greece. Knowing how owners felt after losing a precious item, he created a Facebook group "Needle in a haystack" with the hope that the theory of six degrees of separation would show him the way.  In a matter of 2 weeks, with 235,000 members, this group looked like it would reach its goal, and it did! People who recognized the camera owner alerted Danny and the camera went on to find its rightful owner.

A daughter who had been unsuccessfully trying to locate her biological mother for 20 years has been able to not only find her but also connect with her through Facebook.

These are just some of the many stories that have occurred due to the presence of Facebook. Long lost friends/lovers/family members have been re-united, missing pets have been found, complete strangers have helped each other by way of economical and emotional support during hard times, organ donors have come forward, classroom as well as life lessons have been taught and learnt all via Facebook.

Facebook has managed to demolish the constraints that existed among people from ages and has binded them with a common thread of humanity and connectivity. In short, what we have here is nothing short of a revolution.

Do you have a special Facebook story? Share it here!