Actor, activist highlights culture of LGBT community

At the age of 19, Wilson Cruz was ready to tell his secret.

He admits he was terrified of what people would say. He admits he was afraid of rejection from his family.

Despite his fears, Cruz decided to embrace his sexuality and come out to his friends and family.

Now 36, Cruz, an AIDS activist and actor, spoke to a crowd of about 100 people at the Reitz Union’s Arredondo Room Thursday night about accepting people for who they are.

This event was part of Pride Awareness Month 2010, which is dedicated to highlighting the culture and lives of the individuals that make up the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community at UF.

“No one can define my truth,” Cruz told the audience. “It is mine to choose and mine to define.”

Cruz spoke about his career as a gay man in several artistic outlets, including the Broadway musical “Rent” and a 2009 romantic comedy, “He’s Just Not That into You.”

“I knew my career wouldn’t be the same emotionally if I didn’t come out,” he said.

He continued his presentation by referencing the Rev. Martin Luther King’s concept of using “fierce urgency” in the fight for equality.

“Our biggest contribution is coming out and showing love,” he said. “We need to continue to inspire and continue to reach out to what the human experience can be.”

At the event, Cruz said he was endorsing Gainesville mayoral candidate Craig Lowe, who is also gay.

“We need role models like Cruz to be out and show love,” said Alyssa Craig, Accent director of speakers and performers. “It’s that important.”

According to Accent Speaker’s Bureau, Cruz was paid $5,000 to speak at the event.

Editor's Note:The Alligator incorrectly reported that 10 people attended a Pride Awareness Month Event at which Wilson Cruz spoke. The number was a misprint — about 100 people attended the event.