Many wondered how Florida was able to sign the nation’s best recruiting class this year amid uncertainty surrounding coach Urban Meyer’s career, but it wasn’t just the staff that was working to keep the class together.

Freshman quarterback Trey Burton, who was the second UF commit for the 2010 class, was quick to make sure no one was jumping ship.

“I had to make sure I knew what was going on first, then I didn’t want to lose the class, obviously, so I called (Ronald) Powell, I called (Josh) Shaw, I called as many people as I could and told them to spread the word that coach is fine,” Burton said.

Powell, the nation’s top prospect, and Shaw signed with UF, and the commitments of the top recruits really started pouring in after Meyer chose to take a leave of absence rather than resign.

The process the unit went through while waiting for final decisions about Meyer and the rest of the coaching staff, which needed to fill four vacancies, only brought the group closer together.

“Coach talks about family, and that’s pretty much what we’re like,” Burton said. “Every time one of them comes done that is not here already, we always hang out with them.”

Burton committed to UF before his junior season and came to almost every Gators game since, but despite the long wait, his transition to college-level football has not been easy.

The three-star recruit struggled early during spring practice and was criticized for his awkward throwing motion.

But he showed a vast improvement in Saturday’s scrimmage, looking like more than just a threat to run.

Despite playing better and seeing improvements in his throwing motion, he still has a long way to go in quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler’s eyes.

“It’s improved. Is it there yet? No,” Loeffler said. “It’s not where we want it, but we are making some strides.”

Marsh should be ready for fall: Defensive tackle Lawrence Marsh has been out this spring after having surgery on both hips to repair issues with his muscles and tendons.

Defensive line coach Dan McCarney said trainers told him Marsh’s recovery is ahead of schedule and he should be ready by Aug. 1.

The redshirt senior played nine games last season, but he was the starter at nose tackle in 13 games in 2008.