I really enjoyed Nick Miner’s guest column, “Students should question authority.” Everything he said was correct. The universities, including UF, have degenerated into institutions that only care about students regurgitating information.

This is because universities have sold out to the corporations. They used to be places where young people could explore ideas and learn about the world, but now it’s just corporate boot camp.

The last thing the corporations want is a free-thinking employee. This would undermine their corruption.

Because they control the schools (look at who’s on the Board of Trustees), they’ve shaped the structure of the university to meet their needs.

But there is hope. Students have to resist the problems they find in school, united together, because in unity there’s always a chance for change.

Miner also complained about Student Government’s soft resolution on the Kofi Adu-Brempong shooting.

But there is hope for that too. On Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. on the Plaza of the Americas, hundreds of students will protest this heinous act and the broken system here. Everyone who cares about the direction of UF should attend.