Redshirt freshman receiver Andre Debose returned to practice Monday after being held out of contact for most of the spring.

Florida is still searching for its offensive identity, but the Gators got a step closer to figuring it out Monday.

Redshirt freshman receiver Andre Debose participated in team drills for the first time since the hamstring surgery that caused him to miss the 2009 season.

The speedster from Sanford Seminole High worked in the slot, where he and running back Chris Rainey hope to reprise the role Percy Harvin played during his time at UF.

Debose’s progress will have a lot to say about how potent Florida’s offense can be this season, and quarterback John Brantley was excited to have his playmaker back.

“It feels good,” Brantley said. “He’s a heck of a player, fast as can be, and I’m just happy to see him back out here running around. … He’s only going to get faster, so that’s a plus.

“It’s a little too early to tell, but I’m hoping for big things from him.”

Debose, ranked the nation’s No. 2 wideout by Rivals.com out of high school in 2009, wasn’t made available for interviews after practice, and it’s unclear how much of a role he’ll play in the team’s spring game Saturday.

Elam settles in: After a roller-coaster recruiting ride, Matt Elam has found stability on the field.

He kept UF coach Urban Meyer guessing throughout his recruitment — even switching to rival Florida State shortly before National Signing Day— but he’s happy with his decision to enroll at Florida in January.

He says now the pictures of him wearing a Seminoles jersey make him “start getting sick to my stomach,” and feels bad about breaking his initial commitment to Meyer.

“I was very confused,” Elam said. “I really didn’t know what to do. People thought I was playing around, but I really wasn’t. I wanted to do what was best for me, but trying to make people happy and everything, it was tough.”

If Meyer was bothered by the flip-flopping, he got over it quickly. Meyer said Friday that Elam has already earned the right to play in the fall.

He has worked as a second-string strong safety and starting nickelback during spring practice, as well as on all four special teams units, though Elam said there’s no plan for him to see time on offense.

“Every team we’ve had, there’s always been a fresh who stepped up and has been a significant contributor,” UF safeties coach Chuck Heater said. “I’d say he’s in that category right now.”

Moody out, Powell looks on: Running back Emmanuel Moody, who left Saturday’s scrimmage with a leg injury, was not at Monday’s practice, but incoming freshman Ronald Powell was on the sideline to watch.

Rated the nation’s top overall prospect by Rivals.com, Powell will join the team in the summer and could see playing time at defensive end and tight end.

Cornerback Adrian Bushell, who missed time earlier in the spring for off-field issues, was also absent.