As the semester comes to a close, many students try to go out with a bang, while others, with a hit.

The unofficial day for marijuana lovers to light up is April 20 (more commonly known as 4/20) and rolls around, just in time for the end of classes this Tuesday.

But what does 4/20 even mean? The origin of the beloved holiday is shrouded in obscurity. According to the Huffington Post, the meaning of the term can be traced back to 1971 when a group of teenagers at San Rafael High School in California would meet after school at 4:20 p.m, the exact time detention was dismissed, venture into the Point Reyes Peninsula and light up.

What occurs now is a nationwide celebration of eating or inhaling marijuana. The cannabis culture phenomenon has now developed a reputation creating a day filled with pipes, bowls, bongs, brownies and any other creative method of consuming the drug.

Boasting the largest cannabis celebration each year is University of Colorado at Boulder campus. More than 10,000 stoners are known to gather on school grounds for a smoke-out. Slightly Stoopid plays at University of Texas in Austin every year, and University of California Santa Cruz is renowned for its yearly antics. So, whether you’ve already started stocking up on those munchies or devised a plan to light up between classes, take this day to kick back, relax and embrace the 4/20 fever.