Improv groups performed for two-day event

They got the crowd laughing by taking on roles as pirates, creepy costume shop owners and drunk college students Saturday, but the actors from the Upright Citizens Brigade and Theatre Strike Force take improv seriously.

The Upright Citizens Brigade, a touring troupe that launched stars like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, joined UF’s improvisational group Theatre Strike Force for a show that drew a crowd of about 150 students to the Reitz Union Cinema Saturday.

The show was part of a two-day event featuring an improv workshop and a second improv show Sunday by Chicago improv experts Bill Arnett and Danny Mora.

At an improv show, anything can happen because the comedians are making up their acts as they go.

It cost $4,000 to bring the Upright Citizens Brigade to Gainesville, said former TSF president Ricky Klopfenstein.

“Each performance is completely different ... and in the moment,” said Sharkpunch! member Johnny O’Mara.

Students interested in improv comedy can learn more by visiting theatrestrikeforce.org.