The field was soaked Friday night, but nobody made a bigger splash than Austin Maddox.

In a back-and-forth game that lasted almost five hours due to a rain delay, Maddox hit a three-run home run in the seventh inning to give the Gators a 9-6 lead.

The designated hitter’s long ball was just one of seven homers on the night, but his blast was the difference as No. 7 UF (24-9, 9-4 Southeastern Conference) held on to beat Kentucky (21-13, 4-9 SEC) 10-8 in the opener of this weekend’s three game series in Lexington, Ky.

Maddox’s home run gives the freshman a team-high 10 on the year, and he is on pace to post similar numbers to first baseman Preston Tucker’s celebrated freshman campaign.

Tucker led Florida in the three Triple-Crown categories with 15 home runs, 85 RBIs and a .364 average. At Maddox’s current rate, he will hit about 19 homers, drive in about 78 runs and bat .362.

UF Seniors Jonathan Pigott and Matt den Dekker also hit homers on Friday. Pigott’s shot led off a five-run fifth inning that helped the Gators overcome an early 3-0 deficit.

Den Dekker followed Pigott that inning with a single before second baseman Josh Adams and catcher Mike Zunino drew walks to load the bases.

Freshman Nolan Fontana singled to right field, and three runs scored after Kentucky redshirt senior Gunner Glad misplayed the ball, allowing it to roll to the fence. 

Florida needed as many runs as it could get Friday, as pitcher Alex Panteliodis struggled. The sophomore had a 1.99 ERA before the game, but the Wildcats chased him after allowing five earned runs in 5.1 innings.

Panteliodis struggled with his control, and Kentucky hitters punished mistakes over the plate. The left-hander had given up two home runs all season before Friday, but the Wildcats took him deep four times.

But, in a game that was decided by two runs, Pantelidois and the Gators were lucky no runners were on base for any of the Wildcats’ long balls.

A radio broadcast contributed to this report.