It’s no secret that the Florida football team is facing a major overhaul after losing a host of leaders and starters on both sides of the ball, and as the end of spring practice approaches, the Gators still have a lot of unanswered questions.

Injuries and absences have made finding a new offensive identity impossible, but there’s still plenty of time for Florida to jell before the season-opener on Sept. 4.

Here are three key positions to watch on offense at Saturday’s Orange and Blue Debut.

Quarterback — John Brantley

Brantley is stepping into some big shoes, and his success will have as much to do with his personality as his passing. Predecessor Tim Tebow was always heralded for his leadership, a skill that doesn’t come as naturally to Brantley.

“It’s hard to be a leader when the other guy’s around, but I saw some leadership in Johnny,” UF coach Urban Meyer said. “It’s hard to take charge of the huddle when the other guy is standing right there, but now it’s his huddle.”

This will be Brantley’s first chance to take over his huddle in a game situation — and his first appearance as the face of the program.

Tight end — Jordan Reed

An afterthought last season, Reed could be one of the offense’s most important players, as his development will dictate what kind of system the Gators can run.

“We’ve got to find that tight end,” offensive coordinator Steve Addazio said. “That’s a keystone piece. … Jordan Reed has to have a big spring here.”

Meyer hopes the 6-foot-3, 240-pounder follows in the mold of former Gator Cornelius Ingram as a downfield playmaker, and he’ll also be used in Wildcat packages, especially on the 3rd-and-short situations where Tebow first made a name for himself.

Wide receiver — Deonte Thompson

This one’s simple. As Meyer put it, “It’s time Deonte becomes like he’s the No. 1 receiver in America.”

The passing game will likely only go as far as Thompson and Carl Moore can carry it, and both need to overcome the inconsistency they’ve shown in games and during the spring.

They’ll face a big challenge in starting cornerback Janoris Jenkins this weekend, but none of UF’s other corners are proven, so a lack of success against them would be troublesome.