Humans vs. Zombies resurrects at apartment complex

The zombie epidemic has infected a Gainesville apartment complex.

The District apartments on Southwest 62nd Boulevard was home to a Humans vs. Zombies game Saturday night. About 30 people participated in the game that resembled an elaborate version of tag.

Mario Bartee, a fourth-year nursing student and community ambassador for The District, said he organized the Humans vs. Zombies game to keep residents active and social.

“I don’t have enough time to really interact with it at school,” Bartee said. “I figured a lot of students don’t have time to do it at school, so they can come out here and experience it.”

Fans of “Resident Evil” or “Land of the Dead,”  enjoy experiencing a zombie invasion, Bartee said.

“It’s more of a thrill,” he said. “Creating it as a game, you can create your own rules and have fun with it.”

At the midway point of the game, according to Nathalie Mayorga, an English senior, humans were winning. But by the end of the two-and-a-half-hour game, zombies outnumbered humans, and only a few human survivors remained.

Erik Cundiff, a human who survived through the game, hid, ran and stayed alone to evade the zombies. Cundiff, a Santa Fe College sophomore, wanted to play UF’s zombie game during the spring semester but couldn’t.

Although not a resident at The District, he said he came because the game sounded like fun.

“I think everyone wonders what happens when you die,” said Cundiff. “I think this is something where people say, ‘I can come back as a zombie and eat brains.’”