Outgoing mayor shares proudest moments in office

It’s like a graduation. She’s sad about some things – her friendships and experiences – but she’s glad to be starting a new phase, Pegeen Hanrahan said.

She’s moving out of the mayor’s office today.

“With a job like being the mayor of your hometown, there are obviously a tremendous number of challenges and opportunities,” Hanrahan said Wednesday night. “There have been some really wonderful and uplifting circumstances.”

One such circumstance happens when citizens recognize Hanrahan, and they commend her for her job, she said.

“It’s especially moving to me when it’s a regular person, not someone with an interest with the city or a cog in the city machine,” Hanrahan said.

During her six-year tenure in office, Hanrahan has done a lot of good, said Hanan Clarke, a 60-year-old who has been in Gainesville for 40 years and voted for Hanrahan in both of her mayoral elections.

“She’s done a lot of great things,” said Clarke. “I’d like to see her stay involved.”

One of the highlights of Hanrahan’s service was being selected by the White House to represent how American cities are promoting sustainability.

Additionally, Hanrahan spoke at the Copenhagen Climate Conference last December.

“Gainesville was used as an example of what cities are doing right by the White House,”  Hanrahan said.

Also under Hanrahan’s watch, Gainesville Regional Utilities was named Energy Star’s partner of the year.

“Those are the kinds of thing that make you feel like it’s well-spent time when you’re poring over a development plan at 10:30 at night and you want to go home,” she said.

Hanrahan, a Gainesville-native with four degrees from UF, isn’t looking to leave her hometown.

“The children are really excited I’ll be home,” she said. “My husband is more than excited because he has carried the burden of having two small children while I’m out until 9, 10, 11 o’clock two or three nights a week and traveling 20 days a year, if not more.”

But Hanrahan has not ruled out future public service. She is keeping her eyes on Florida’s November elections, which might open opportunities for her, she said.