It was a devastating conclusion to the season for the Gators.

No. 6 Florida finished the National Championships on Thursday tied for 11th place, a stroke shy of qualifying for match play.

Match play is a when a team earns a point for each hole in which it defeats its opponent and it is reserved for the teams who finish in the top eight of the National Championships.

UF carded a 293 (+5) on the final day and posted a final team score of 869 (+5).

“The final day was very disappointing,” senior Tim McKenney said. “Every single one of us looks back on the tournament and knows that we could have saved a couple shots. This is very heart breaking.”

After a sub-par start, the Gators needed to step up on the back nine.

“We got off to a very poor start,” McKenney said. “I think between the five of us we only had two birdies on the front nine. I don’t know if it was nerves or not, but coach (Buddy) Alexander was being positive and we started to fight back and gain a little more confidence on the back nine.”

Seniors Tyson Alexander and McKenney didn’t finish their notable collegiate careers on a  high note, as both players carded their worst round of the tournament Thursday. Alexander dropped from 43rd to 64th place and shot a 75 (+3), while McKenney fell to 72nd after scoring a 76 (+4).

“I didn’t play very well,” McKenney said. “Tyson also didn’t play particularly well. We didn’t step up when we needed too, and it’s disappointing to only lose by a shot.”

Although McKenney has finished his career at UF, he hopes to continue with golf.

“I’m moving back home to Arizona,” he said. “My goal is to turn pro and make a living off the game of golf.”