George Steinbrenner was known in the sports world for his deep pockets.

The famed baseball owner, who died of a heart attack at age 80 on Tuesday, brought his New York Yankees to seven World Series titles and 11 World Series appearances.

While he was known nationwide for generous spending on his baseball team, Steinbrenner was also a generous donor to UF.

The Steinbrenner Band Hall, which houses rehearsal facilities for all UF bands and office space for staff members, was dedicated in November 2008.

"When [students] come in the doors, there's a sense of reverence-it's that nice," said Director of Bands David Waybright. "I don't think there's a better rehearsal facility in the country."

It all started in 2002 when Steinbrenner walked up to then-UF President Charles Young at a Gators football game and said, "I wanna do something nice for the band."

The facility has a 5,600-square-foot room for band practices, which is enough room for the 350-person Pride of the Sunshine marching band to do indoor rehearsals, Waybright said.

"The facility really kind of enhances the reputation of the university in all things music, and certainly in all things band," Waybright said.

Steinbrenner also did similar things for Ohio State University's band program because his wife, Joan, was an alumna.

"He was a huge band guy when he was in college. That was a passion of his," said Paul Robell, assistant to UF President Bernie Machen.

But Steinbrenner Band Hall was not the sports icon's only contribution to the university.

Steinbrenner also had a passion for horses.

He owned a horse farm in Ocala called the Kinsman Stud Farm.

His love of horses led him to donate to UF's College of Veterinary Medicine.

A large donation was given toward completion of an animal hospital in 1989.

He also donated $400,000 toward a horse medical imaging machine for the college in 2005.

Of course, Steinbrenner also gave generously to UF's athletics programs.

According to Robell, Steinbrenner was a Gators fan.

The osprey-infested lights that illuminate McKethan Stadium, the university's baseball field, were donated by him in 1977.

He also was a member of the Bull Gator program, a club for the athletic department's top donors.

"We are deeply saddened to hear the news of George Steinbrenner's death," said John James, executive director of Gator Boosters, in a statement. "He was a wonderful friend to the University of Florida, supporting both athletics and academics."

Steinbrenner became interested in UF because the school was the major research university in the state and he enjoyed the athletics at the school, Robell said.

Steinbrenner does have family ties to the university, though.

His son Hal, who now is the co-owner of the New York Yankees along with his brother Hank, received his MBA from UF in 1994.

His death fell on the day of Major League Baseball's All-Star Game.

Fans and players observed a moment of silence prior to the game.

Flags at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, Calif., flew at half-staff.

His funeral will likely be held this weekend in Tampa.