No. 13 UF volleyball team beats No. 9 Iowa State to open season

Despite the fact that they lost total points 88-85, led their set for just 31% of the match and never had a lead greater than five points, the Gators won in the area that matters most – sets.

In a match in which neither team was at their sharpest, No. 13 Florida (1-0) successfully grinded out a 3-1 (25-22, 25-21, 10-25, 25-20) victory over No. 9 Iowa State (0-1) in its season opener Saturday at the Runza/American Volleyball Coaches Association Showcase in Omaha, Neb.

“Our team experienced all different emotions in that match,” coach Mary Wise said. “From really playing well in sets one and two and grinding it out, to going into lala land in set three, and then looking tentative in set four. We were just trying to find our way. We just dug deep and really competed.”

It seems fitting the team’s top performer would be senior Callie Rivers, who has been identified by her coaches and teammates as the most vocal and competitive Gator.

The outside hitter led Florida with 10 kills and a .364 hitting percentage. She also added 1.5 blocks and nine digs for a near double-double.

“Callie Rivers was very solid,” Wise said. “She just had one of those consistent matches to start her senior year.”

Also turning in an impressive opening night performance was senior Erin Fleming, who led all players with 18 digs.

Saturday’s match marked Fleming’s debut at the libero position, as she is being called upon this season to replace the graduated Elyse Cusack.

“Tonight was a huge match for Erin Fleming,” Wise said. “She made some big time plays and not just when she touched the ball. That was the key.”

The contest saw four new faces make their UF debuts, including junior transfer Tangerine Wiggs, who notched nine kills and assisted on five blocks.

Also appearing in her first match for Florida was freshman Chanel Brown, who recorded 13 assists, good for second on the team behind Kelly Murphy’s 26.

“With Chanel there are plays she can make that are so athletic,” Wise said. “She can chase a ball down and really put a killable ball out there. It’s like starting a freshman quarterback where there’s so much on her mind, but with every game we’re going to see improvement.”

Hawaii transfer Stephanie Ferrell also took the floor in a Florida uniform for the first time and notched three kills while spelling Kristy Jaeckel late in the match.

Although Ferrell is new to the position of backup, Wise is happy with how everything worked out and with the options she has going forward.

“Roles are going to change and evolve based on who we’re playing,” Wise said. “There will be matches where Stephanie (Ferrell) starts, there will be matches where it’s Callie (Rivers) and Kristy (Jaeckel). It’s interchangeable and I think that really helps us.”

The Gators were able to take sets one, two and four despite falling behind 8-13, 0-5 and 11-15 in them, respectively.

Aside from set three, in which the Gators committed 10 errors and never led, they out-blocked the Cyclones 11-3, showcasing the strength of the new defensive system assistant coach Dave Boos implemented in the offseason.