Gators fans entered this season expecting Andre Debose to emerge as a big-play threat capable of stretching defenses.

In 15 quarters, the redshirt freshman receiver has not flashed much of the promise accompanying his high school hype. But in one quarter, the first quarter against Kentucky,  Debose became quarterback John Brantley’s most consistent option.

After the first 15 minutes, Debose led the Gators with four catches for 36 yards. Coach Urban Meyer said he was impressed with how well the receiver performed in practice last week, and he wanted to reward him by scripting plays for him.

“All you have to do is practice well, and Debose will be nonexistent next week if he doesn’t practice well,” Meyer said. “You earn your right to get on that field, and he actually earned that right this week in practice doing a great job.”

Meyer said Debose had not been involved in previous weeks because he struggled to grasp the offense during practice.

“It was not because he wasn’t trying,” he said. “It’s that deer-in-the-headlights look as a freshman. You ask him to do this, and he makes a mistake. ‘Do this,’ and he makes a mistake.”

Debose, who sat out last season with a hamstring injury, was expected to fill the year-old void left by Percy Harvin.

With him struggling to pick up the offense, Meyer moved Debose to outside receiver to give him the role of a more traditional pass-catcher. However, Debose was lined up in the inside slot on a trips package for each of his four catches against Kentucky.

Debose’s first reception came on Florida’s opening play, a three-yard out route.

He hauled in his third catch when the Gators ran the exact same play to open their second drive. Debose’s second reception came on a screen pass, and his last catch was on an inside drag route.

But Debose disappeared after the opening quarter, never even having another ball thrown his way.

None of his catches were difficult, but they showed Debose can, in fact, be a part of the offense, giving Alabama another player to prepare for this week.

“It helps my confidence out a lot — knowing that I can actually compete and I’m not here just to sit on the bench,” Debose said. “I’ll build on this and hopefully I’ll get more catches next week.”