Drayton to reduce Demps’ workload going forward

Despite carrying the ball a career-high 26 times last week, Florida running back Jeff Demps said he has not felt sore.

Demps’ previous career-best was a 16-carry effort last season against LSU, but he said coaches called his number about 20 times per game at Groveland South Lake High.

The only pain he felt after Saturday’s game was his foot, which was stepped on by a Gators lineman in the first quarter. The junior limped on his right leg after the game.

“As a running back, you’re going to get tackled and it’s going to be hard,” he said. “You have to play through injuries. I’m used to it. I’ve played running back since I was about one. The only thing different is (playing against) bigger players.”

But running backs coach Stan Drayton  said fatigue played a role in Demps’ fourth-quarter fumble, and he would prefer that the tailback carried the ball less this week.

Running backs Emmanuel Moody and Mike Gillislee combined for 13 carries Saturday.

“I definitely would like to balance that out  — for the sake of Jeff, really,” Drayton said. “He’s a burst guy. He doesn’t run the 800-meter dash. He runs the 100-meter dash. And to keep his legs fresh during the course of the game is going to help him and this football team.”

Pouncey on Rainey: Center Mike Pouncey talked to Chris Rainey on Tuesday and said he believes the crestfallen receiver will return to the team this season.

“Oh yeah,” Pouncey said. “He’ll be back. We just don’t know when.”

When asked last week about Rainey’s status following his Sept. 14 arrest for aggravated stalking, both coach Urban Meyer and offensive coordinator Steve Addazio said he was not on the team.

Pouncey is perhaps closer to Rainey than anyone else on the Gators. Not only did the two play together at Lakeland High, but Rainey temporarily lived with Pouncey growing up.

Offensive Line Jells: After making his first start of the season last week, left tackle Xavier Nixon said the offensive line is getting back in sync.

Meyer wants the offense to lean on its veteran line, which returns four of five starters from last season. But Nixon’s knee injury in the preseason held the group back.

Nixon said the success of the line depends on chemistry among the five players up front, something that only comes with time. But the unit has quickly gotten back in tune because of its prior experience together.

“Right here, we have a foxhole mentality,” Nixon said. “When you have a line, you’ve got to know the man beside you is going to do his job and you’re going to do yours.”

Injuries: Moody (thigh bruise) returned to practice Wednesday after sitting out earlier this week. The senior suffered a thigh bruise in practice Sept. 15 and was limited to only five carries against Tennessee.

Defensive tackle Lawrence Marsh (hamstring, forearm laceration) has practiced at full strength this week, defensive coordinator Teryl Austin said. Marsh sat out against Tennessee after cutting his arm when a bathroom sink collapsed last week.

Tight end Jordan Reed (strep throat) missed practice Wednesday, Meyer said. Cornerback Cody Riggs and running back Mike Gillislee missed practices last week with the same infection.