Former gov. weighs in on political landscape

When Buddy MacKay returned to Florida after serving in the U.S. Air Force in the 1950s, he saw a state in desperate need of development and renovation.

Yet more than a decade removed from his service in a state government that has overseen numerous changes, he still sees a state in need of improvement.

In an hour-long speech at Pugh Hall on Thursday night, MacKay, a former state representative and senator, U.S. congressman, lieutenant governor and governor, regaled the audience with tales of his days in government and discussed his views on Florida’s current state.

MacKay, who was not paid for his appearance, lamented the bipartisan divide that has engulfed Florida politics, describing politicians who refuse to compromise as nothing more than glorified political bumper stickers.

“I see the system being systematically designed as impossible,” he said. “I don’t think I could serve there.”

When asked what steps Florida should take to fix its current problems, MacKay said lawmakers should employ “root canal” solutions, those that will hurt in the short term, but it will provide a better long-term outcome, such as continuing to fund education amid an economic recession.

In terms of Florida’s future, MacKay insisted that lawmakers maintain a sense of discipline and political maturity when considering solutions for the state. 

“The older our population is becoming, the more politically immature we’re becoming,” he said. “We’re becoming a big political adolescent.”

The former governor also offered advice for the current gubernatorial candidates, advising whoever wins the November contest to stand strong against a legislature that will, he said, attempt to run the executive branch.

Former Sen. Bob Graham, who introduced MacKay to the audience before the event, gave his former colleague high praise, calling him a person that could make someone proud of democracy.

“If there was such a thing as a hall of fame, he would be voted in on the first class,” Graham said.