Nobody expected the RedHawks to keep up with the Gators.

But then again, nobody expected a team with 13 yards of total offense to go into halftime with a 15-point lead like Florida did.

No. 4 UF (1-0) escaped a disastrous game, committing three turnovers and fumbling the ball eight times in its 34-12 victory against Miami (Ohio) (0-1).

“It was not that shocking that we didn’t play well, it was shocking that [so many] balls were on the ground,” coach Urban Meyer said.

With fumbles in each of their first three drives, the Gators allowed the RedHawks to stay in the game early.

The first was caused by a bad snap from Mike Pouncey, who made his first career start at center Saturday after playing guard last season. He struggled with numerous off target snaps, keeping quarterback John Brantley off balance all game.

“The ball just kept slipping out of my hand,” Pouncey said. “I don’t even know how the hell, it just kept slipping out. We’ll have it fixed by next week.”

Pouncey met with Brantley Sunday morning before practice to address the actual snap, his grip on the ball and Brantley’s focus on the snap.

“We watched film and did some snapping together,” Brantley said. “It was just us two. We are just trying to clean some stuff up and make sure that doesn’t happen again.”

Miami took a 3-0 lead into the second quarter before cornerback Janoris Jenkins jumped a short route, intercepted a pass and didn’t look back until he reached the end zone 67 yards later.

The interception gave the Gators a lead they wouldn’t give up, but UF still struggled.

Fourteen of Brantley’s 17 completed passes went for 10 yards or less. The Gators ran various ineffective screen plays and short routes, and the RedHawks drew within nine points early in the fourth quarter.

The receivers didn’t help Brantley.

Deonte Thompson dropped a perfectly thrown ball in the end zone, and Carl Moore did not record a catch. Tight end Omarius Hines and wide receiver Chris Rainey both caught touchdowns, though.

UF failed to make use of its depth at the position – something Meyer noticed after the game.

“I didn’t realize at the time, but Deonte Thompson and Carl Moore played every snap, and that’s the first time that has ever happened here at Florida,” Meyer said Monday. “You have to get a rotation in there.”

However, the offensive strategy seemed to shift in the final frame, when Brantley completed his only three passes beyond 10 yards and UF gained 187 of its 212 yards.

“I’m glad it happened in this kind of game, a game that we could have just went out there and won,” Pouncey said. “But if we do it next week (against South Florida), we won’t win the game.”

Gators reloading for USF: Despite Saturday’s sub-par performance against the RedHawks, Meyer delivered some good news in Monday’s press conference.

Safety Will Hill and offensive lineman Carl Johnson are expected to play against the Bulls this Saturday. Both players were held out against Miami because they “weren’t ready to play.”

Wide receiver Frankie Hammond, Jr., who was also suspended last week, will see action Saturday, Meyer said.

Also, Meyer is hopeful left tackle Xavier Nixon (knee) and tight end Jordan Reed (knee) will suit up against USF.

However, cornerback Moses Jenkins will miss six weeks with a hyperextended elbow.